With its archaeological crypt, it tells the story of 1,500 years of the history of Digne and its surrounding areas.
The Le Bourg district has been occupied since the 1st century AD. The cathedral took over from several earlier sanctuaries dating back to the 5th century; it was built between the 12th and 14th centuries. During the Wars of Religion, the building was plundered and the Episcopal Seat was moved to Le Rochas, à Saint-Jérôme.
The remains discovered during excavations in the 1980s are on display in the archaeological crypt beneath the cathedral.
The nave with its single nave and flat chevet is one of the finest examples of Romanesque art in Haute-Provence; its walls still bear some frescoes from the Middle Ages. The liturgical furnishings and stained glass windows were created at the end of the 20th century by the Canadian artist David Rabinowitch.
The cathedral has been classified as a historical monument since 1840.