The Notre-Dame Chapel sits on the structures of the ancient castle site at Mézel, of which a few fragments of the castle's ramparts and the upper mound or "motte" remain, a reminder of the early castle. The building is rebuilt on a medieval base which could correspond to the Castral Chapel, the title of which remains unknown.
The 1250 survey of the Count's estates still lists inhabitants in the castle village within the castle walls, while the new village began to develop near the Church of the Priory of Saint Vincent, the current village church.
Built around 1620, the chapel dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary is mentioned for the first time in the 1666 land register. The Tuscan-style portal is dated 1680.
The flat chevet is pierced by an oculus framed by a rosary held by two angels which crown the large gypsum altarpiece, the most remarkable feature of the chapel.
A small vaulted sacristy is linked to the chapel at quire level. It covers the opening of a 9m deep well which holds the weights of the clock. Its mechanism is installed in a small building above the sacristy.
In the 18th century, an annex used as a hospital, was added by a Hermitage. This annex, which was completely demolished, still appears on the Napoleonic Land-Survey Map drawn up in 1812.