At an altitude of 884m above Digne, Saint Pancras's Chapel is a place of worship since the 12th century. Cited by Pierre Gassendi in his Records of the Church in Digne around 1654, it was enlarged after the plague of 1629 which killed nearly 8,500 of the 10,000 inhabitants.
The mid-May pilgrimage dates back to 1662 and was only discontinued between 1950 and 2000.
Originally maintained by the Brotherhood of the White Robes, it has undergone numerous works by volunteers and associations in Digne (1810 and 1975); it has been continuously renovated since 1999 and especially from 2003 to the present day by "Les rénovateurs de Saint-Pancrace" with the help of Digne Municipal Town Council, which redid the roof in 2005.
Saint Pancras (San Brancai in Provençal dialect) was martyred in Rome in 304.
The second of the Ice Saints, he is celebrated on May 12th.