Mallemoisson's Panoramic Landscape

Mallemoisson's Panoramic Landscape

Mentioned in records as early as the 13th century under the name of Castrum Malismessibus, Mallemoisson was most certainly originally a fortified site around which several village houses were built. The few sections of the castle wall of the ancient Lord's Castle, which belonged to the Codur de Villeneuve family until the Revolution, were destroyed in 1951. Originally built on a high site, the village descended slightly towards the plain in modern times, probably not before the 17th century.

The heart of the present village is at the foot of the slope. The houses on the hillside are built of stone or pebbles, and the roofs are covered with terracotta curved tiles. The streets follow the contour lines of the hillside, while small transversing lanes allow you to pass from one street to another. Mallemoisson has many of the characteristics of a typical Provencal village.

However, in modern times, new buildings have been added to the old village centre. A few recent houses can be seen on the ridge overlooking the village, while a string of buildings joins the hamlet of Les Grillons situated on the edge of the N85 National Road, a hamlet now considered as being part of the village by uninformed passersby.



UNESCO Géoparc de Haute-Provence
Musée Promenade
Parc Saint-Benoît BP 30 156


+33(0)4 92 36 70 70


L’UNESCO Géoparc de Haute-Provence est un service de Provence Alpes Agglomération,
administré au travers d’une Entente Intercommunale avec la Communauté de Communes du Sisteronais-Buëch
et financé par la région Provence Alpes Côte d’Azur et le Conseil Départemental de Haute-Provence.

Provence Alpes AgglomérationCommunauté de communes du sisteronnais buëch
Région Sud Provence Alpes Côte d'AzurConseil départemental Alpes de Haute-Provence

Tous droits réservés - 2019 © - UNESCO GÉOPARC DE HAUTE PROVENCE - Politique de confidentialité - Crédits photos - Mentions légales