The Refuge d'Art de La Forest (a Land-Art Installation) was created by Andy Goldsworthy in 2008-2009. It is reminiscent of the chapel of Saint-Madeleine in Thoard, as the artist created a stone cavity which is naturally lit by a zenithal-light, a sky-light, in the place of the deserted and largely destroyed village church of La Forest.
La Forest, which is part of the Municipal District of Saint-Geniez, was a parish in its own right, dedicated to Our Lady of Pity. The church was disused in 1938 as the village was already deserted.
The word Forest (which is the same as the French word "forêt") originally meant that which is "outside", that which is apart or distinctly separate. It has evolved into the meaning of wooded space or area because it was also used for woods reserved by the ruling Lord of the area. In Haute-Provence, forests are generally hamlets far from the central town or village.