In 1180, there were three churches in Marcoux: Saint-Étienne's Church, Saint-Marcellin's Church and Saint-Martin's Church. Saint-Étienne's is the current Parish Church, Saint-Martin's was bought as a national asset during the Revolution and Saint-Marcellin's disappeared without a trace.
Saint-Etienne's Church, built at the end of the 12th and beginning of the 13th century, was part of the Cathedral Chapter of Digne until 1476 when it was transfered to the Bishop who was the Lord of Marcoux and remained so until the end of the Old Regime.
The building, with three vaulted bays with a barrel vault leading to a semi-circular apse, was listed as Architectural Heritage of Importance in 1927. The 1651 altar was listed in 1908 and the 1699 bell was listed in 1989.
The bell tower and belfry (built by Auguste Pellegrin, a locksmith in Digne) date from 1889, replacing a wall-belfry whose exact date of construction is unknown and which may not have been the first in this church.
Next to the church, three large limestone stones with notches in them can be seen, which probably come from the walnut-oil mill built on the banks of the Bléone river. It operated from 1635 to 1893. Recovered after the demolition of the mill by the floods in 1898, the large stones have been installed there since 1998.
From The Life & Times in Marcoux from 14th to the 19th Century - M.P. Baume