The dungeon (or tower) at Melve is ideally situated for its defensive function: natural protection and visual signalling.
There is little information about its history, but it seems to date from the 13th century.
It occupies an area of about 70m2 and was completed by adding an esplanade (an open level area) to the east.
Despite the current state, three levels can be identified; they were separated by floors and the second floor was covered by a vault which has now collapsed. The construction is neat and the defensive function is confirmed by the presence of archways on the first floor. Currently, it is private property and you cannot enter it.
The first place of worship in Melve was probably in the hamlet of Le Serre, but it was the present church under the name of Notre-Dame de Beauvoir (Our Lady of Beauvoir) and the patronage of Saint Clar that replaced it after the Wars of Religion. After many setbacks and collapses (in 1807 for example) the present building, which has two naves, contains classified quire stalls and a pulpit.